Thursday, May 19, 2011

Alexander McQueen: True Royalty

On Tuesday, my friend and I went to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met, and let me just say in advance that this post will not do it justice. If you live within a reasonable distance from NYC, you absolutely must go see this exhibit.


When we walked upstairs, the line stretched all the way into the farthest gallery toward the back. They told us the wait would be about 45 minutes to an hour, but it actually went much faster than that. 


The first room is pretty bare, with some of his more ready-to-wear looks, but as soon as you step into the second room of the exhibit, it's like entering another world. The garments are beyond unbelievable, and it was all I could do not to take out my camera and begin snapping illegal photos of every single dress. A lot of his collections/pieces are pretty dark, in a gorgeous way, and there were so many that I, of course, wanted to steal off the mannequin for my own closet.


One room was filled with shelves, and on all of the shelves were different shoes, headdresses, and other accessories. It was simply unbelievable.


The only complaint I had about the exhibit was that there were so many people squeezed into the space, and I wish that we could have waited in line longer for a more easygoing and less crowded experience in the gallery. But that is literally the only thing that disappointed me.


The lighting, architecture and music of the exhibit highlighted the garments in the perfect way, and everything really surpassed my very, very high expectations.


Here are a couple of photos from NY Magazine of the exhibit. If you have the chance, it is an NYC must-see (and it's closing July 31st!)




1 comment:

Shuvi said...

A "friend"? I wonder who that could be...

Post a Comment

Thoughts?