Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Yeah I'm Out That Brooklyn, Now I'm Down in Tribeca"

My internship is in Tribeca...that's why Jay-Z inspired my post title. Next.


So I know I've posted a lot leading up to the start of my internship without having gone into much detail, but never fear! This post will be smushed full of detail. Not too much detail since I signed a non-disclosure form, but let's be honest - I've been there for 2 days. I don't have too many secrets to disclose.


I'll start off by telling you about the company. It's a full service digital agency, which basically means they do a lot of interactive marketing - websites, apps, events, everything. Digital. I'm the PR Intern, so my job is (/will be) a lot of tracking press coverage and event planning, for the most part.


Let's start at the beginning. What did I wear, you ask? Well, I'll show you.

It's a little hard to see in the photo, so I'll describe, from the bottom up: 
-Red patent leather Jessica Simpson flats
-Black suit-type wide-leg pants (but more casual) 
-Brown thin braided belt (H&M)
-White button down with thin blue double pinstripes, cuffed (H&M)
-Black beaded multi-strand necklace 

Since I interviewed over the phone, the most I had to go by in terms of attire was what they had told me: business casual, heavy on the casual. For the first day though, in my opinion, it's always better to dress it up. Look professional as hell, and then once you're comfortable you can dress it down. (On my second day I wore dark jeans, a black top with a black blazer over it, a chunky brown and green beaded necklace, and brown sandals - a little more casual, but still professional.) The office attire is very casual. I can definitely still wear all of the business attire clothes I bought, as long as I dress the outfits down a bit, which is fine.

On my first day, the first thing I did was get a tour of the office. This place is awesome. They have chalkboard walls for brainstorming, an espresso machine, tons of couches and posters, and the best part? A room with videogames and a ping-pong table. And all of the conference rooms are named after classic rock songs.

Next, I went out to lunch with two women who work in Account Services, and the other intern who was starting that day. It was a lot of fun, but I can't wait to meet my boss! (She's out of the office this week, so I'll be meeting her Monday.) It's awesome though, because since the company is so digital, I've been IMing with her constantly to keep in contact. After lunch, the IT guy set up my computer, gave me access to all of the servers, databases, set up my company email address, etc. Then we got a presentation on the history of the company, and I spent the rest of the day completing my "missions" (one of which included emailing an embarrassing photo of myself to the entire company - company policy!)

There were a couple things about my first day that made me realize I was going to love working here. (Besides the fact that everybody is so chill and witty.) First, I had some downtime on my first day, and I was sitting at my boss's desk, and she had a copy of Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR by Brian Solis, which is one of the books I'm currently reading! The other thing was this: as some of you know, I have a Snow White decal on my MacBook Pro. One of the employees saw me on my computer and asked if I was borrowing my boss's laptop while she was gone. I said that this was my computer, and they told me that my boss has the same decal! It's going to be an awesome summer.


Today was my second day (I'll be working Mondays through Wednesdays, with the occasional Thursday). I spent most of the day working on a Press Coverage spreadsheet for a bunch of the company projects. The newest one, which is getting a lot of awesome press, is called Screenstagram: a Mac screensaver of the best Instagram pictures (popular ones, or your own!) I downloaded it to my laptop, and you should too!


Anyway, that took forever, but I was excited to get into the swing of things. I can't wait to see what the summer brings!

4 comments:

Kit Blanke said...

I miss you but you sound like you're having a blast! Enjoy the ride, I have no doubt you'll be great!

Walter said...

YAYAYAAYYAA, we're totes gonna get lunch when I get back to the states

Ellen said...

Love the new blog! It's great! It sounds like your internship will be awesome:)

Gwen said...

Ahh! It sounds amazing and perfect for you! Good luck!

Post a Comment

Thoughts?