Sunday, May 29, 2011

3 Things To Know About Interning in NYC

Two weeks ago marked the beginning of my summer internship in NYC, and since I live in Westchester County, I've been saving rent money by doing the MetroNorth commute. I started my internship a bit earlier than most, so I decided to do a post on this right as a lot of interns are starting.


For those of you who are just moving to NYC, welcome, and good luck with your internships! Before you start, here are some things you might like to know:


1. Flats are your best friend. For some reason, I've always had a hard time with flats - they rub my feet in the wrong place, my heel slips out of them, whatever. But working in NYC (especially when you need to take the MetroNorth to Grand Central to the 7 to the A) means you need to find a pair or two of flats that are comfortable. Trust me, they will make your life a hell of a lot easier, because NYC means walking. I have always had one trusty pair of red patent leather Jessica Simpson flats that I love, and I recently bought two pairs of inexpensive, super comfy Charlotte Rousse flats in both charcoal and tan - practical colors, and cute!





 2. First Day = First Impression. Dress to...ahem...impress. Seriously. I happen to be working for a company where the attire is pretty casual. Granted, my only interview was a phone interview so I was going into work on my first day blindly, but even if I had been to the office before, I wouldn't have changed my first day outfit. It's important that on your first day, you show that you care about your internship (or job), and the easiest and fastest way to do so is by dressing professionally. I wore black pants, a fitted pinstripe button down, my red flats, and a chunky necklace for accent. I've dressed it down every day since then, but not by much. Remember - you're an intern. You need to prove yourself every single day, so even if you're dressing casually, make sure you look neat and put-together (AKA no chipped nail polish!)


3. What To Bring? Great question. There are some things you must schlep to work every day, no matter where you work (and even though you may not need them daily). 
a) Always have a copy of your resume, cover letter, and list of references on you. (The copy of your cover letter should be a general one geared toward your field, but shouldn't mention any specific company. You never know who you might meet!) 
b) A notepad and pens. Pens, plural. You will have to take notes. 
c) A small healthy snack to get you through the day. Some days are busy, and you might not have time to run down the street for a snack. Bring something to help boost your energy; I suggest a power bar, a bag of almonds, or a yogurt (if you have a fridge). And a water bottle.






I hope these tips help you with your internship! I'd love to hear about it, so always feel free to leave a comment about how your internship is going, or if there's anything else you always remember to bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?